Chicken – 500 gm.
Dry red chillies - 8-10
Carom Seeds (Ajwain) - 1/2 tsp
Onion - 3 (chopped)
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tblsp
Tomatoes - 3-4 (pureed)
Green Chillies - 5-7 (You could use bell peppers or jalapenos instead.)
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Yogurt - 1/2 cup (use more if needed)
Salt - to taste
Pickle with it oil - 2-3 tblsp (I use mango pickle or garlic pickle)
Coriander leaves - handful
Mustard Oil - 2-3 tblsp
For seasoning (Paanch Pooran)
1. Wash the chicken pieces nicely. Add some salt, lemon juice and slit green chillies to the chicken and s marinate for 1 hr..
2. Heat oil in a kadai and add the paanch pooran.
3. Add the dry red chillies and carom (Ajwain)seeds.
4. Add the chopped onion and saute till it turns golden brown.
5. Ad the ginger garlic paste. Add the pureed tomato.
6. Add the red chilly powder, salt, turmeric powder, pickle and let it cook till oil seperates from the masala.
7. Add the chicken pieces and saute till the masala coats the chicken and the outside of the chicken is cooked.
If you want some gravy, add the yogurt at this stage. If you like it dry, scale down and add less curd or skip it all together.
8. Cover and reduce the flame. Let the chicken cook in its own juices for 15-20 minutes. Splash some water only if the chicken sticks to the bottom of the pan.
9. Garnish with cilantro and switch off. Serve with any roti or white rice.